A sliver of cake keeps sadness away..!

Hello readers..!! Happy Holi..

I'm back today with another recipe that I've had tried with apples. To be honest, I hate apples. I have no reason to hate them but still sometimes we all dislike things without having a strong reason. I have the same thing for apples.

I went shopping with my dad the other day and he bought lots of green apples and later no one at my home could eat them because of their tangy taste, at the store we were just smitten by their luscious green color. We had to do something so...

I DECIDED TO MAKE AN APPLE PIE. 

Of Course, whenever we think about making something with apples, we think about the pie. I googled the best recipe with no fails and got lots of different recipes. Somehow I stumbled upon a brilliant and different recipe and that was the recipe for...

THE APPLE STREUSAL CAKE


It's a brilliant recipe and takes a bit of our time and patience but totally worth it. The cake has three layers and I made some changes in the recipe as well which I'm gonna share with you today..

  • LAYER- 1
This is the layer of classic vanilla cake and this is the first time I made a cake using an egg. Yes..!! I make eggless cakes since my family and friends are vegetarians. 

Cream 55 gm of butter with 100 gm granulated sugar then add one whole egg. Whisk it till the mixture becomes pale yellow, then add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract, whisk well. Now gradually fold 130 gm of plain flour to the mixture. DON'T WHISK. FOLD. FOLD. FOLD.
1/8 tsp of salt or just a pinch would be fine to perfectly enhance the sweetness and then 1 tsp of baking powder, pour in 80 ml of milk to bring the batter to the right consistency.
  • LAYER-2
Original recipe had a layer of sliced apples coated with cinnamon and nutmeg but I made changes. I substituted the sliced apples with the apple sauce, which is the apple pie filling.

Take a saucepan, add some butter to that add some light brown sugar and let it caramelize for a bit then take two apples, peeled and diced into cubes, tumble them into the saucepan. Give it a quick stir and cover it for a minute. Don't overcook them, we want to retain the crisp texture of the apples. Take it off the flame and add less than a tsp of ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Don't add too much of the spices as they have a really intense smell.

  • LAYER -3
This is a bit messy and a lot fun. You'll have to use your fingers to make the streusal topping. It's always better to take a big bowl and remember to use cold butter.

First off, take 65 gm of flour and 55 gms of sugar, a pinch of salt. Mix the dry ingredients well then take 40 gms of cold butter. Gently rub the butter with the floury mixture to create a bread crumbs like texture. Use your fingers for this, it's better.
And that's it.. this is the streusal topping.


  • ASSEMBLING
Now comes the assembling of the cake layer by layer. Layer the vanilla cake batter into the buttered cake tin, then the apple sauce, then cover the sauce with the streusal topping.


Bake it off for 40 minutes and serve it cold. 


Baking is all about measurements, so you'll have to measure everything before using them. Make this cake at home and I'm sure everyone will love it, specially apple lovers. 

Takecare :)






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A new creation..

A big change